Seattle, Washington offers a variety of attractions and activities all year round, but in May, the city comes alive with the vibrancy of spring. Here are some fun things you might want to consider:
- Seattle International Film Festival: Running from mid-May to early June, this is one of the largest and most prestigious film festivals in the United States.
- Pike Place Market: A must-visit for first-time tourists. May is a great time to visit to enjoy the local produce, fresh flowers, and seafood. Don’t forget to stop by the original Starbucks store.
- Fremont Sunday Market: This European-style market offers vintage, handmade, and antique items, alongside food trucks and local crafts.
- Seattle Art Fair: Occurring annually in May, this event showcases the best of modern and contemporary art in the Pacific Northwest.
- Outdoor Activities: Seattle is known for its beautiful outdoor scenery. Try hiking in the Mount Rainier National Park or boating in Lake Washington. The Washington Park Arboretum is especially beautiful in spring.
- Seattle Mariners Baseball Game: If you’re a sports fan, check out a game at T-Mobile Park.
- Space Needle & Chihuly Garden and Glass: For the best views of the city and some stunning glass artwork, these two attractions in the Seattle Center can’t be missed. The Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit is especially beautiful in the spring light.
- Museum of Pop Culture (MoPOP): This non-profit museum is dedicated to contemporary popular culture. It was founded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen in 2000.
- Visit Ballard Neighborhood: Known for its Scandinavian heritage, this maritime neighborhood offers attractions like the Ballard Locks, Golden Gardens Park, and a thriving dining scene.
- Seattle Beer Week: If you’re in town during Seattle Beer Week in mid-May, don’t miss the opportunity to try craft beers from local breweries.
- Northwest Folklife Festival: Held over the Memorial Day weekend, this festival is one of the largest community-powered arts festivals in the United States.
Remember that the weather in Seattle can be unpredictable, so make sure to pack a light rain jacket or umbrella. Enjoy your visit to Seattle!