Seattle offers an array of fun and festive activities in December. While the weather can be a bit cold and damp, the city’s indoor and outdoor attractions keep the holiday spirit alive. Here are some ideas:
- Visit Pike Place Market: A trip to Seattle is incomplete without visiting the bustling Pike Place Market. During December, the market is even more lively with holiday decorations and seasonal offerings.
- The Nutcracker Ballet: A holiday tradition, the Pacific Northwest Ballet’s version of The Nutcracker is unique and visually stunning. It’s a must-see if you’re in Seattle during the holiday season.
- Seattle Center Winterfest: This festival spans five weeks and offers free and affordable holiday activities, performances, ice sculpting, and a train & village. It ends with a fantastic New Year’s Eve celebration.
- Wildlights at Woodland Park Zoo: This event allows visitors to see the zoo in a whole new light – literally! The park is transformed into a winter wonderland of light displays, animal encounters, and even fake snowball fights.
- Enchant Christmas: Held at T-Mobile Park, Enchant is a Christmas light maze and market. It features an ice-skating trail, food vendors, and live music.
- Argosy Cruises Christmas Ship Festival: This tradition spans decades where a parade of boats with holiday lights sails to different communities around Puget Sound.
- Visit the Seattle Aquarium: The aquarium is a great place to spend time, especially on a rainy day. They sometimes have special events and displays for the holiday season.
- Holiday Tea at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel: The hotel’s Georgian Room is transformed into a holiday tea room. It’s a wonderful way to relax after a day of shopping or sightseeing.
- Leavenworth Christmas Lighting Festival: Though not exactly in Seattle, if you’re up for a day trip, the Bavarian-style village of Leavenworth is about a 2-hour drive. Each December, they have a charming Christmas Lighting Festival.
- Snowflake Lane at Bellevue Square: Every evening at 7 PM, Bellevue’s shopping district comes alive with holiday music, a parade, and a snow show.
Always be prepared for potentially rainy or snowy weather in Seattle during December.