Memorial Day is typically celebrated with various events and activities across the United States. As of my last update in September 2021, here are some suggestions on how you might observe the day in Seattle. However, it is always a good idea to check local listings closer to the date as events can change from year to year.
- Visit the Museum of Flight: This is one of the largest, non-profit air and space museums in the world. On Memorial Day, it often hosts special exhibits or activities.
- Attend the Northwest Folklife Festival: This is a yearly event held at Seattle Center over Memorial Day weekend. It showcases music, art, and cultures from around the Northwest, with tons of live performances, food vendors, and other activities.
- Observe the Memorial Day Ceremony at Evergreen Washelli: Each year, the Evergreen Washelli hosts a Memorial Day commemoration that includes a concert by the Seattle Pacific University Symphonic Wind Ensemble and a ceremony involving local military and veterans groups.
- Explore local parks: Seattle has an amazing array of parks. Spend the day hiking, picnicking, or simply relaxing in one of the city’s beautiful green spaces such as Discovery Park, Green Lake Park, or the Washington Park Arboretum.
- Visit the Seattle Aquarium or Woodland Park Zoo: Both of these destinations often have special events over the Memorial Day weekend, and they can be a great way to spend the day with family.
- Go on a ferry ride: Take advantage of the warmer weather and take a ferry ride to one of the nearby islands like Bainbridge or Vashon. The views of the city from the water are spectacular.
- Enjoy the city’s restaurants and breweries: Seattle has a diverse food scene. Spend the day sampling local cuisines, craft beers, and unique cocktails. Many places might have special Memorial Day offerings.
- Take a walking tour of Seattle: This could be an official tour or a self-guided one. Learn about the city’s history while exploring areas like Pioneer Square, the International District, or Ballard.
- Attend a Seattle Mariners baseball game: If the Mariners are in town, there’s usually a game on Memorial Day, often with special promotions or events.
- Relax by the beach: Depending on the weather, you could also spend some time at one of Seattle’s many beaches. Golden Gardens and Alki Beach are both great options.
Remember, Memorial Day is about honoring and remembering the men and women who have died while serving in the U.S. military. Many choose to observe the day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, participating in parades, or simply taking a moment of silence at 3 pm local time, which is designated as the National Moment of Remembrance.