Labor Day in Seattle, like many places in the United States, is celebrated with a variety of events, festivities, and activities that cater to different interests. Here are some ideas for what you can do:
- PAX West: The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) West is usually held around this time. It is one of the largest gaming events in North America and covers all forms of gaming from video to tabletop, to card games.
- Seattle Labor Day Parade: Depending on the year, there may be a Labor Day parade in Seattle organized by labor unions and other groups. It’s a chance to recognize the contributions of workers and the labor movement.
- Mariners Baseball: If the Seattle Mariners are in town, there’s often a game to catch over the Labor Day weekend at T-Mobile Park.
- Washington State Fair: While it’s not in Seattle proper (it’s in nearby Puyallup), the Washington State Fair often begins around Labor Day and features traditional fair activities, rides, concerts, and agricultural displays.
- Outdoor Activities: Many people take advantage of the long weekend to enjoy the
- Bumbershoot: This is one of Seattle’s largest cultural touchstones. It’s a large music and arts festival that takes place at Seattle Center during Labor Day weekend. It features a diverse lineup of bands, comedy, theater, film, visual arts, and dance.
- Pike Place Market: Visit the historic Pike Place Market, one of the country’s oldest farmer’s markets. Enjoy fresh produce, explore unique crafts, and eat at some of the city’s best restaurants.
- Picnic and Outdoor Activities: Since Labor Day marks the end of summer, it’s the perfect time to explore Seattle’s many parks and trails. Discovery Park, Alki Beach, and Green Lake are great spots for a picnic, a swim, or a stroll.
- Visit Museums: Seattle has a range of museums to explore. The Seattle Art Museum, Museum of Pop Culture, the Museum of Flight, or the Pacific Science Center could make for a nice outing. Some of them might have special Labor Day activities.
- Boating: Seattle’s geography lends itself well to water activities. You could rent a boat or kayak and enjoy the views from Lake Union or Puget Sound.
- Sporting Events: If you’re a sports fan, check out if the Seattle Mariners (baseball) or Seattle Sounders FC (soccer) have any games scheduled over Labor Day weekend.
- Concerts and Shows: Keep an eye out for concerts, performances, and shows happening during the weekend. Venues like the Showbox, the Paramount Theatre, and Benaroya Hall host a variety of musical and theatrical performances.
- BBQ and Grilling: It’s a tradition for many to have a barbecue over Labor Day weekend. You could join in by either hosting your own or attending a public one in a community space.
Remember that specific events can vary from year to year, so it’s always a good idea to check local listings and websites to see what’s going on during your visit.