Independence Day is a festive occasion in the United States and Seattle is no exception. Here are some great activities that you can partake in on July 4th in Seattle:
- Fireworks: Fireworks are a key part of Independence Day celebrations, and Seattle typically has a large display. One of the most popular is the annual show at Lake Union. The city gathers along the banks of the lake or takes to the water in boats to watch the show.
- Parades: Seattle has been known to host a variety of parades throughout the city. Communities come together to celebrate with floats, bands, and lots of patriotic spirit.
- Seafair Summer Fourth: This is a day-long celebration typically held at Gas Works Park and South Lake Union Park. It often includes food vendors, live music, games, and, of course, a stunning fireworks show to cap off the night.
- BBQs and Picnics: Many Seattle residents celebrate Independence Day with a traditional barbecue or picnic. Many of the city’s parks are filled with families and friends enjoying good food, games, and company.
- Concerts and Festivals: Seattle has a rich music scene, and many local bands and musicians typically perform on the Fourth of July. You may find various music festivals and concerts happening around the city.
- Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Summer 4th: This is the city’s biggest Fourth of July event, held at Lake Union Park. Enjoy live music, food trucks, and a huge fireworks display over the lake.
- Chow Down at a BBQ: There are usually many 4th of July barbecues hosted throughout the city. This is a good way to enjoy some traditional American fare while celebrating the holiday.
- Gas Works Park: Visit this park for an all-day event featuring food vendors, live music, and the best view of the fireworks show in the evening.
- Take a Harbor Cruise: Some companies, like Argosy Cruises, offer special 4th of July cruises where you can take in the sights of Puget Sound and watch the fireworks from the water.
- Seafair Summer Fourth: Another great option for your Independence Day celebrations. Enjoy the fair, participate in fun activities and games, and wait for the grand fireworks display at night.
- Baseball Game: The Seattle Mariners usually have a home game on or around the 4th of July. You can enjoy America’s favorite pastime on its birthday!
- Independence Day Parade: Look for parades in Seattle’s neighborhoods. The city is known for its community spirit, and the 4th of July parades are a fun way to celebrate with locals.
- Visit Local Breweries: Seattle is known for its beer, so take the opportunity to visit some local breweries. Many have special events or releases for the 4th of July.
- Concert at the Space Needle: Enjoy a concert at the iconic Space Needle. There’s often live music to enjoy while you take in the beautiful views of the city.
- Pike Place Market: While it’s not a specific 4th of July activity, visiting Pike Place Market is always a fun Seattle experience. Many vendors have special deals for the holiday.
Remember that the pandemic could affect the scheduling of public events, so it’s best to check the status of these activities closer to the date. And remember, no matter what you choose to do, be sure to take a moment to appreciate the significance of Independence Day in American history. Enjoy your 4th of July in Seattle!